View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 02:00 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Very nice quilt!

So please tell me more about Fat Yoga.
My DD has always been a bigger girl, and when she began to take yoga, she had various yoga teachers actually lay their hands on her to try and get her body in "proper" positions. She never let it discourage her, but the humiliation left its mark. When she became a master, by much hard work, she wanted her studio to be accessible to all people. Instead of focusing on the positions people can't get into, for whatever reason, she has chosen to adapt the practice to anyone who wants to learn. The name "fat yoga" came because she wanted a name that reflects the difference in her philosophy. She even has several disabled students at any given time, because she will adapt for them too. In less that three years, she has had to begin to teach others to lead classes because there are not enough hours in the day for her to teach all that want to learn and practice. She and her students even sponsor a continuing clothing drive aimed at collecting clothing for bigger teens and adults, that are under served by other such groups. She calls her approach "Radical Self Love". If anyone would like more info, PM me.