View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 AM
DonnaPBradshaw

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Soooo...I have had a less than productive day. I need to bind a quilt that has a very gentle zigzag edge on two sides. After trying a piece of straight cut binding, I decided it really needed bias binding--something that I rarely use. I went to my Complete Quilter's Guide and read their directions. I then read over notes I had from a recent Guild demo and proceeded to make my 'tube'.

Cut the piece into two triangles--check.
Sew them together on the short sides---check.
Draw lines...ummm...Draw more lines because the first ones were not on the bias but on the straight--okay finally...check. (lunch break)
Line up the two edges and offset by one row....aaand try again....one more time now...yessss!!! and sew--check.
Cut and cut and cut some more (I needed 420 inches)and then press in half and press...you get the idea..but check.

Okay time to sew it on the front of the quilt and it is going on beautifully. Even the gentle zigzag looks perfect--except for the colour....hmmmm....after 2 1/2 sides I realized that I had not auditioned the binding fabric against all the other fabrics it would touch and I really needed a plain creme to set off all the blocks. Time to unsew....sigh...

Okay finally, folks (if you've stuck with me so far) here is my question--Can anyone tell me what the benefit is in going thru all those contortionistic steps to get one continuous piece of binding,rather than just draw the lines, cut the strips and sew them together? I dread going thru this whole thing again tomorrow...
Oh my, I have such an easier way to make bias binding! you fold it in a certain way and cut it, you then need to sew the ends together which you might not like but it's so much easier than any other method I've seen. I've posted this in a previous post. Type bias binding and you will find it hopefully! I will try to find it for you again.