View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM
zozee

Talking

Once I've got my layout finalized, I take white, 1" round sticky dots to label my blocks. Let's say I have 5 rows across, 6 down. I write on the dots A1, A2, A3, A4, A5. Second row B1, B2 and so forth till E5. I stick A1 dot close to the left edge of the block, A2 close to the right edge, so that when they are pinned, I can peek at them easily by just lifting the edge of the block ( not having to completely turn it over to make" sure-sure" I've got the right ones before sewing.

I then take row 1 blocks down, in order. I always pin in the same direction -- horizontally with flower head on the sewing edge. I just know that a pin head means "sew this side". Then, in the case of 5 blocks per row, I pin A1 and 2 together (peeking again for assurance that blacks are the way they should be) , sew, then do 3&4 same way. Press them open, join them with each other and A5. Then I get up and return the finished row to the design wall because I'm just so eager to see it up there. Some people might sew all 30 blocks before getting up, but I'm like a kid showing off her art to mommy after every two minutes of coloring!

I sew rows to each other after I have all of them sewn individually.

This method works for me organizationally, and keeps me from sitting too long and getting stiff.

oh, and I take pictures, too, as I go.

Last edited by zozee; 06-15-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: mixed up words