View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Bree123

I'm with the others -- I'm really not sure it matters that much. I either call myself a "quilt maker" because I make the quilt from start to finish or a "fiber artist" (for some shows that's called a "textile artist") because I love to experiment with different cotton materials, layouts & treatments (dyeing, fiber couching, thread painting, trapunto, etc, etc).

There are people in my guild who call themselves "piecers". It's hardly a slight. They are really incredible at what they do and some have even partnered up with quilters to win awards for their work! And then we have a couple of gals who buy all their tops & only do the quilting. But they have LA machines, so they don't use the word "quilters", they use the term "long-armers".

I guess if we want to get really nit-picky, since a quilt has to have 3 layers, a quilter would be a person who binds together 3 layers ... but honestly, unless you're trying to figure out how to advertise your business I'm sure it makes no difference what you want to call yourself. I do almost no piecing. I like applique & whole cloth quilts. However, when I have done quilts with piecing & someone asks "who was the piecer?" I respond that I was. I definitely don't believe that you have to use a technique on every quilt you make in order to claim it. If you want to call yourself a "quilter", you don't need anyone's permission to do so (and if you do, you have mine -- for whatever that's worth! )