Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

I was asked this question about cost just yesterday. My niece stopped by with a friend of hers. The friend wanted me to make a queensize quilt for her. I told her flat out I didn't do commission quilts. Then could I do it "for the fun of it" and she would give me what she thought it was worth. I happened to have a "few" receipts of my cost for a quilt that size. She just about dropped her pearly whites. Of course she said she could get one at Walmart and put it in layaway for less. She mentioned a photo and showed me a "Dear Jane" from scraps. I told her it still had material in it that was purchased at one time by the yard and would probably cost more because of the time to put all the pattern pieces together. I pulled up a simple 9 patch for a queensize and sent them on their way to WAlmart, JoAnn's and a couple LQS. They assumed to already have a dsm. They needed to purchase the notions (on a list) including a cutting mat and rotary cutter the whole 9 yards. I told them to go to the one LQS I frequent and the owner knows me. She showed them a couple quilts (wall hangings) she had made and a couple that local customers made. They were totally shocked at the cost. She showed them a handquilted and machine quilted quilts. My nieces friend signed up for some classes. They walked out with a whole new respect for the process from purchasing fabric to finishing and presenting a quilt. The friend decided she wanted to try to make her own eventually. She'll start small with one for her 3 year old. Her mother gave her the Bernina her father gave as a birthday present and never used. Still in the case with all the accessories. It's 35 years old!