View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Bree123

I really love my guild. It has 80-90 people in it which means we're large enough to be able to invite really amazing quilt teachers to run workshops & present at guild meetings without having to pay ridiculously high annual dues. The people in my guild are super friendly & we have a lot of mini gatherings outside of our monthly meetings where I can get to know members a lot more. It is really great about supporting some charities (not so much that it gets overwhelming, but enough that everyone who wants to has a chance to join in) and we have a large quilt show every 2 years that everyone can enter. I love the show & tell, too!

I am thinking about joining a second guild that is connected with TAS (The Applique Society) because my main guild has almost no one who does any applique and those who do mostly do it by machine; out of the nearly 90 members, only 2 of us do any needle turn and I really wish sometimes I had more people to share ideas with than just one other person. The TAS group by me doesn't have any presenters. They don't do workshops. They just rent out a space in a church and people come & do show-and-tell, handle a few items of guild business and then most of them stay to have lunch together and spend 3 hours in the afternoon just working on hand applique. It's a lovely slow paced time together.