Old 06-17-2016, 03:49 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

You might also check out some basic "how to" books.

One of my favorites is "Quilts! Qullts! Quilts!" by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. I prefer the first edition to the second edition - I think because fewer fabrics are used in the examples.

Another of my favorites is "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

Of those two, "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!" is more technically comprehensive for a beginner and the Mary Ellen Hopkins book has a more relaxed approach.

There are quite a few discussions about favorite brands for rotary cutters, rulers, and mats on this board. You can do a search for them after a while.

My favorite ruler brand is the Olfa Frosted line because they are the easiest for me to read and I can 'see' them on any fabric.

You will learn that there are usually several ways to do things. (Washing, starching, making HST (half square triangle) units, pressing - the list goes on.) Eventually you will learn what works better for you.

Learn what your machine can do. Some people have used an unthreaded machine and sewn on paper just to learn how to "steer" it.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-17-2016 at 03:55 AM.