View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Jennifer23

I joined a guild a couple years ago as a way to meet people when I moved for school. The main thing I was looking for was a friendly, welcoming environment, which I got in abundance. Other things that I hadn't thought to look for, but that I really enjoyed, included:
- members with a variety of skill levels. There were people with less and more experience than me, so I never felt intimidated, and there were people I could help as well, so I felt useful.
- regular learning workshops, and free sewing times
- a charity component, where I could donate my time and improve my skills using provided fabric, and knowing that my work was going to a good cause.
- a well-stocked library - I spent quite a few hours just looking through books, and learned a lot!

I've since finished school and moved back home, but I really miss my guild. There is a sewing/quilting group here, but it just doesn't fit in with my work schedule, so I sew by myself. I'm still a member of my guild, though, so I get the newsletter, and my dues help keep them going. I try to go to a meeting once a year, but it's 1500+ km each way, so not an easy task!