View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 03:31 PM
giquilt

you are lucky to have choices. I get involved in guilds by the areas of quilting I enjoy. Appliqué, sample quilts, quilts that go to a specific Charity. I learned years ago if you go to a meeting or party as a new person, look for a wallflower. They are feeling uncomfortable too. Ask them what type of quilting they like and the rest will take care of itself.
I am splitting my time between two states. So I joined a guild in each state. One has 120 members of which 80-90 attend in a day meeting 10-20 in an evening meeting. Days have a mix of national and local teachers. Evenings are all projects taught be members. There may be what some would call clicks, but it is because some have been members/friends for almost 40 years. There are small groups inside the larger guild, but you must get involved to meet new people.
The 2nd guild I have just joined. Has about 60 members 30 are very active. They have two sewing days every week so it is easy to meet a few members. One person has really taken me under her wing. It takes a friend to be a friend.