View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 05:15 AM
quilttiger

There are quite a few guilds or groups in my area with different sizes, goals, agendas, and so on. Currently, I belong to a large guild which has a specific agenda for each monthly meeting, usually with a well known speaker, as well as committees. There is enough time provided for some socializing. Members are encouraged to help on committees but no one is made to feel bad if she does not want to be on a committee or hold an office. The best part are the "bees" which are much smaller groups with different purposes, such as piecing group, charity group, etc. Participation is not required. I belong to the piece lovers group and it is so fun. Our goal this year is to have fun with scraps.

The next group I joined is for longarm quilters but everyone is welcome. Approx. 10-12 ladies attend the 2-hour monthly meetings. A specific topic is provided each month for sharing ideas and tips along with shows and tells of all kinds. A very lovely and friendly group.

I recently joined a charity group which has no agenda, no dues and no bylaws. It is a very flexible group whose main goal is to make charity quilts for children (there are helpful guidelines) which are donated to over ten charities in the area. In 2015, over 1500 quilts were donated. I understand that machines do not have to be hauled in for sewing but the ladies can make as many as they want and bring them to the meetings. My first meeting was lovely, and the ladies made me feel very welcomed.

So if you are looking to join a group, try a couple meetings before deciding to join. Some groups will charge a guest fee to attend a meeting before you decide to join. It takes time for ladies to know you and time for you to know them. If you don't find one you like, try another group.