View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 AM
greencat

Default Mexican Star details

I appreciate the nice comments regarding my Mexican Star wallhanging! It sounds like a few quilters have this on their agenda. I thought I'd share some of the ways I assembled this quilt.
During block construction, instead of glue-basting the folded triangles I lengthened my stitch and starting at the corner stitched down one side less than 1/4". It will never show and doesn't have to be removed. I was just careful during assembly to be sure the other side of the triangle edge was enclosed in the seam. (of course I could have sewn down both edges, but....)
After finger pressing the triangles to create the curve, I found it easier to sew using my zipper foot. Just be careful to catch the first stitch correctly.
I divided the quilt into 4 sections and fmq'd my pattern to go out to the corner. Since there was peacock feathers in my print, that's what I tried. I used Crayola ultra-clean washable markers to mark my feathers and also in the light border. Completely washed out!
This is a fun quilt to work on! Hope to see more posted.
Attached Thumbnails imgp2647-640x480-.jpg   imgp2649-640x480-.jpg   imgp2650-640x480-.jpg