View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 12:27 PM
mac

Oh, I just thought I would add that I zig-zag scraps of cotton batting, such as Warm and Natural, together to make pot holder size pieces.

I really hate to see all of the cotton batting that you cut off when layering a quilt go into the waste basket. Many times there are strips of batting large enough for an 8 or 9" potholder. If not, I just rotary cut two different pieces, butt them up against each other and use a large zig-zag stitch on them, using cotton thread. If you keep your foot (preferably a walking foot, but not necessary) centered on the two pieces you get the perfect stitch to hold pieces together flat.

When making a pot holder, I use two layers of cotton batting and I make sure that I cross the pieces when I layer them. One zig zag batting layer goes up and down and the other zig zag batting goes from side to side, to insure that they as strong as a solid piece of batting when put together.

I will often use this method when I am making small wall hangings, instead of buying more batting for just that project. As they say, waste not, want not.