Thread: Barn Quilts
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 05:26 PM
quiltingshorttimer

google Franklin County, KS barn quilts. they started a "trend" that is growing in KS and give lots of advice on how to make one. Size is up to you--I'm making a 2x2' one for the side of the shop and we have the makings(except for paint) for an 8x8' for the side of the barn (we do live in country). But several of my quilt buddies are also making them for their in-town houses at a workshop in our guild. One thing you might want to do if your HOA has a restriction on adding permanent decoration to your house is to make a 2x2' one and attach to a sign standard (like realtors use)--saw this done at a LQS while hopping and just so cute! You could put along sidewalk, etc. Seems most suburban neighborhoods allow houses to have those similar signs in the yard bragging about what activities their HS kids are involved in! Couple tips I learned in another workshop is to seal the edges of your plywood (and use outdoor quality ply) from moisture (with flashing, etc) and to NOT put polyurethane over the paint as when it comes time for touch up, it creates problems requiring sanding.