Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 AM
selm

Originally Posted by hcarpanini View Post
If you are on a longarm, make sure your new backing and batting are at least 4" larger on each side. Load the quilt, secure the top, baste down the sides as far as your throat space will allow. Quilt from left to right, roll and repeat.
I'm with Harriet's instructions.

But I will add that as they bound the quilt you don't have extra backing and batting you will have to do something about that. Of course one option is to replace the backing and batting with ones of the proper size. You could also baste fabric to the top and bottom of the backing so you can attach it to your leaders and remove when you are done. As to the sides I have successfully quilted with backing and batting that is the same size of the top. If you watch it carefully it can be done. You could baste extra fabric to the sides as you do to the top and bottom but as you usually quilt off the quilt top it would harder to remove later, but doable. Also batting could shift as you quilt so you might want to have extra batting of the same type handy so you can manually attach pieces where needed. Again, a bit of work but seems only solution other than new backing and batting.
Good luck.

Last edited by selm; 06-22-2016 at 09:47 AM.