Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 AM
quiltlady1941

You are such a great friend to do this,that was so much work for you and I bet for all the time you spent on fixing this quilt you could have made a brand new top..

Here is my story...

I also was asked to fix a quilt by my special needs nephew, I couldn't say no to him.. it was not because it was falling apart but because it was a picture quilt and most of the pictures were fading or peeling away from the fabric, I told him that I couldn't put the pictures back on the quilt top but I could try and fix it..after really looking at it and the work involved in ripping all the block with the pictures on off, (I hate ripping) I ask him if I could just make a new top with some of the fabric and he said that would be fine..but he wanted the back fabric on the new quilt.. It was good that the quilt was not quilted but just a tie quilt with no binding. I just cut all the ties and very carefully cut the seam around the quilt and it can apart. I am still working on it and have the new top done and just have to sandwich it and quilt it..

The problem I am having is with the back, where the ties were it left larger holes were the thread went through the fabric, and as he loves this fabric I really can't replace it..He gets his mind on something and you can't change it LOL..I am hoping that after it is all quilted you won't notice this and after washing it they will close up..

Anyway, anyone that have taken on a job of repairing a quilt my hat goes off to them! It is not a easy job, but we all do things for the people we love and it does make the job a little easier knowing that they will love the quilt forever..