Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 PM
clevermom3kids

Default Singer 403a That's what they get for leaving me home alone

My whole family is away till the end of the week and today I found myself in a Goodwill store, discovered a "new" aisle which I thought held toys, but to my surprise, discovered it held sewing machines! Oh dear, and there was one of "those brown Singers" I wanted because it's like the one I used in home ec. 40 years ago. So I pull it down from the top shelf, and look it over. Well, I know enough to be dangerous but not much more than that, so for $25.20 I have myself a new toy of my own to play with, the 403a (not in a cabinet).

I do know that the power cord doesn't fit the machine so that's on my shopping list. I didn't try it at the store because of that, so it's a gamble, but like I said, when the cats away, the mice will play! So, after reading archives on this board, I realize I may need some cams, and I definitely need a needle (what kind do they use?). There IS a bobbin case and bobbin, so I'm good there. I may need some spool pins, but there's at least one.

I'm trying to come up with a name for it too; considering Cecilia as in "Cecilia, I'm down on my knees, I'm begging you please to come home" since I was down on the floor examining it at the store.

It's been over 100 degrees today so I've not even untaped the cords or parts box from the machine yet--just too hot. My burning (pardon the pun) question is very basic at this point: WHAT DO I USE TO CLEAN IT/WIPE IT DOWN JUST TO GET STARTED ON THE REFURBISHING? It's a dirty overall, and could use a bath. I've heard WD40 is not so good and wondered if Dawn dish soap would do the trick or if something else is preferred.

Thank you for any help you can send my way to enlighten me on this new addition to my herd. Can I say this is the last one? Would anyone believe me? --Carol