View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 AM
applique

Default Quilt From a Photo (Dog with a Teddy)

I saw a Facebook posting called Forgotten Dogs of the Fifth Ward (you can search Facebook for the posting under Fogotten Dogs and dog with a teddy). I emailed the photographer and she gaveme permission to use the photo in a quilt. I will make a lap sized raffle quilt for the organization and an appliqued piece for her mom. In our email she said her mom is a quilter so I will send the extra applique for her mom to piece into a quilt for her daughter. (I only like to do applique). So for those of you who asked how to do it, here goes.
* I printed out the photo then enlarged it to 11 by 17 on a color copier.
* using an ultra fine point Sharpie I traced around all the changes in color and shading.
* the Sharpie bleeds through to the back and that will be my pattern.
* the back of the traced pattern (on 11 by 17 paper) is enlarged to the correct size for the quilt.
* now that I can see how big and complicated the actual pieces will be, I decide which ones work for me and which ones do not. I use white out to get rid of unwanted lines then once again trace the pattern making sure there are no "unconected" lines. Each line must be closed and make a separate piece which will be numbered.
* I now have a large pattern with the numbered pieces on one side and the bleed through back side as the placement guide.

This is as far as I have gone. Next is the toughest part which is deciding which pieces go over and which go under the joining pieces.
Attached Thumbnails img_2940.jpg   img_2941.jpg   img_2943.jpg   img_2945.jpg