Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
VernaL

When I was a single mother, I didn't have much money. Every Thanksgiving holiday, my daughter and I baked fancy breads, cookies, etc. and put them in the freezer for Christmas gifts.
I baked with my grandkids a lot. We have a small kitchen and the only place to make food is in a corner of the counter between the cooktop and sink. My 3 young grandkids would each be on a stool or chair preparing goodies. My youngest was a grandson and he loved to crack the eggs and got very good at separating the yolk from the whites. The girls didn't like that part. But, he loved the measuring, too. He was too small to mix cookie dough so the girls did that.
There are quite a few cookbooks for kids out there. I have at least 3 of them and the kids used to come over and pour over them to see which ones they wanted to make. Some recipes were pretty messy and some were terrible, so we knew which books had the best. I also have a huge (probably 100) collection of cookie cutters and they loved those. These are some of the best memories they and I have together. They have since moved about 6 hours from us and now the 2 girls are out of high school and the grandson is a Soph. in HS. I miss them and the good times.