View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Bree123

Default Sewing Shirt - What have I done?!!!

Wow! So I saw this cute little "super easy" sailor top on CreativeBug.com that I wanted to make for my trip to San Diego this Thursday. First problem, I haven't sewn clothing in close to 20 years. Second problem, I decided it would be fun to try a new overcast foot for my Bernina because I don't have room for an entire serger & really, I mostly quilt anyways. Third problem, there is no such thing as "super easy".

After a small snafu with sewing the sleeve facing on upside down (it's batik -- easy enough to do because there's no right or wrong side ... sort of), I was zooming along with my new overcast foot. I finished in no time & stopped to admire my handiwork & realized I had only checked 5 of the 6 seams (must've checked one of them twice and missed another). I had sewn a pleat into my seam! Oh, the horror!

No worries, I just grabbed my trusty scissors. I'm sure you all know what happened next... yep, you guessed it, a gaping hole that is literally the size of the Grand Canyon right at the top of my sleeve! Disclaimer: I've never actually seen the Grand Canyon, but I'm sure the hole in my shirt sleeve is reflective of its actual size.

So now I'm ripping out all those teeny back & forth double overcast stitches (why oh why did I feel to need to make the seam so secure?!!!). No more scissors for me. I'd throw them out the window, but with my luck today, I'd probably hit a policeman & be locked up in Quilter's Jail ... or real jail, whichever is worse. Plus, I need them to cut a replacement sleeve once I finish seam ripping 3 hours from now. Honestly, has anyone here ever had to rip out double overcast stitches set a 1.2mm? If there is any shortcut, please send it to me at the Quilter's Jail (I'm pretty sure cutting into your fabric because I was using scissors as a seam ripper is a violation of some law & the quilting police are on their way to pick me up).

No seriously, ideas?

Last edited by Bree123; 06-28-2016 at 12:39 PM.