View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I absolutely hate out houses ever since I sat on the hornet nest just under the rim. I don't like blue water hooters either ever since I tore up my nose on a door hook in the middle of the night - don't ask... 7 stitches... BUT my husband and youngest kid LOVE camping. We struck a deal. I agreed to camp if I could use a chamber pot and he would cook - then I would sleep in a tent but not on the ground... I still have to plan out all the meals and usually wash the dishes.

One time we were camped at an event where there were school kids. We had just eaten breakfast when bus loads of kids descended on us. I was washing dishes when a couple kids came along and wanted to know what I was doing. They had never washed dishes. Well, I sure didn't let that opportunity pass me by...
My parents camped up until about 5 years ago. They just would tent camp. I think their tent wore out one night in the rain and that was the end. Did I mention they are 90? My sister and I slept out in the back yard in an improvised tent once. I woke up kind of itchy and looked over at her just laying there snoring with her mouth hanging open and ants trying to find a new home... Ew... Between hornets and ants I pretty much wrote off camping for years.
It has been over 20 years since my hubby and I started camping together. I have learned a lot. There are lots of ways to camp. I have never gone glamping but I have boondoggled a few times. That Is one of my favorite types of camping unless there is a shoot out or air traffic too close. Just pile in the van and pick a direction.

I think the most memorable camping trips were when everything went wrong.

Last edited by miriam; 06-30-2016 at 06:43 PM.