View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM
SheriR

Default Wedding Dresdens - From Grandma's Closet

I just finished this Dresden Plate quilt for my baby girl who will be married the end of August. I've been planning this quilt for my daughter for the last three years, collecting pieces of fabrics from my late MotherInLaw's stash as I made other projects for all her 23 grandchildren. (You can see these quilts in a picture folder in my profile.) When my daughter became engaged I just had to pull out the container of swatches and begin.

Each plate, as you see, is a collection of Grandma's fabrics. The center is a Candle Wick project Grandma made years and years ago. All the fabric I used, front, back, and binding, came from Grandma's Closet. If you can see the back label, it says, From Grandma's Closet. I really wrestled with the color of 1" finished sash. Everything pointed to pink, so I could just tell, Grandma wanted pink.

I had planned on hand quilting it. But...really...I wanted her to receive it at her wedding shower the end of July. I free motion quilted feather circles in each plate, flowers in the plate centers, and various cross hatchings in the body of the quilt and on the center Candle Wicking. I did a pink/gold flange binding and top stitched that with a gold thread leaf.

I truly love this quilt. But I love Dresden Plates. I hope my daughter loves it as much.
Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   back.jpg   quilting-dresdens.jpg   center.jpg   label.jpg