View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 01:54 PM
imsewnso

Here is what I do.
The West Kootenay’s where I live, is a beautiful part of the BC province. We are located 2.5 hours north of Spokane Washington in a rural area near Trail. Fruitvale (10 miles east of Trail) is the closest "town" although it doesn’t have a traffic light. I hold the retreat at the scout camp, that is conveniently down the road from where I live and considered to be in Fruitvale. The camp is located on 10 acres of wilderness that was donated to the Scouts years ago. We do have deer and bear and other critters that visit periodically, and we have never had any problems with them.

The camp has a full kitchen, showers and flush toilets. There are a few cabins and 2 of them have electricity. The beds have a mattress, but nothing else. It is usually quite warm at that time of the year, and sometimes we do have rain, making puddles, however we stay dry. This is a private event and I have friends that come from Calgary as well. There is a hotel down the road Nothing fancy, but no fear of bears visiting at night. Last year there was a bear sighting during the day, and because the toilets and showers are a bit of a walk from the cabins at night, they feel safer staying at the hotel. Most of the girls do go home, some bring their campers or trailers and a couple do sleep in the cabins. It is a rustic setting and I just love the ambiance. A bit of a walk in like 100 feet from the cabins to the bathroom. However, if you want to use a pail and empty it in the morning you are welcome to do that too. lol
The cost of the retreat this year is $60.00 plus you cook with one other person and supply lunch and supper for one day for everyone at the retreat. This goes very well, some of the girls prepare ahead and bring frozen food, some of the girls have gluten allergies and we try to accommodate them when possible....but we do not cater to special diets. If people have special diets they can plan on food for those meals they don’t eat. The menu is posted before hand so all of those with special diets can prepare.
I started doing these retreats because I went to one in Montana and had a fabulous time. Someone suggested we do one here when the space became available....the rest is history.

Last edited by imsewnso; 07-08-2016 at 01:59 PM.