View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 08:28 AM
SewingSew

Default Pool Chemistry and Other Tips

Since it is summertime, I thought that I would share a link for home pool chemistry that will save pool owners lots of money. I had a pool at my last house, and this is how I managed my pool water. When I first had the pool installed, I purchased my chemicals from the place I purchased my pool from and I couldn't believe how much they were charging me. I began to balance my water myself and I saved a lot of money and my water was just as clean. The only thing that I added directly to my skimmer were chlorine tablets. Everything else I dumped straight into my pool. Although I know I could have used household bleach, I preferred to buy buckets of chlorine tablets. Here is a link explaining how to do your own pool chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzUI52P2XJ0

I also have several other tips that may be of use.

If you spray shaving cream on your mirror in your bathroom and rub it in and wipe it off, your bathroom mirror will not steam up. This is very helpful when you are in a hurry and you need to apply your makeup and do your hair. Yes, I'm talking to you men out there... Also, it is a very helpful thing to do to the inside of your car window.

I know a lot of you are gardeners and already know this, but for those of you who don't, this will be valuable information. If you grow petunias or pansies, make a point to deadhead the flowers daily if possible. To do this, find the dead blooms and follow the flower along the stem to the bifurcation where it joins the other stem, then cut it there. The job of all living things is to reproduce, and so the ambition of plants is to produce seed. If you don't deadhead your flowers, the plant will successfully produce seed where the flower was, and then the plant will slow it's blooming, but if you deadhead, (or if you prune) the plant will produce more blooms in an attempt to make seed. Vegetables are the same way. The more you pick, the more they produce.

If you call your grocery store and find out when their shipments are delivered, you can plan your visits accordingly to get the freshest fruits and veggies.

Certain foods contain polyphenyl oxidase and cause enzymatic browning ( like apples, peaches, bananas, and avocados, potatoes, shrimp) and should not be stored in plastic bags because they will quickly rot. And yes, I know that they are sold in stores in plastic bags. If you look at a bag of apples, you will see holes in it.

If you run the chain of necklaces through a straw, they will not tangle. Alternatively, if you roll the necklace up in a piece of fabric or a bag like a jelly roll, that also prevents tangling.

When you are buying melons, look for the end where the stem is supposed to be. If that area is green, that means the melon was cut before it was ripe and it won't have any flavor. What you want is to see is brown where the stem should be.

These are some of my tips. I hope you will share some of yours.