Thread: Painted Cabinet
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Rosyhf

I had some requests for a Tut so here are the steps. I was going to post in the Tut thread but all I see are quilt tuts, so I wasn't sure.

First, depends on the state of your cabinet. Mine was already worn out and the finish not so good. so I just took a hand held electric sander and gave it a little sanding. All the finish does not have to come off, just roughing up is all that is needed. I used Decoart Acrylic paint and decoart glazing medium, and extender medium but you can use any acrylic paint and glazing from the hardware. The triangle tool, or cut some saw like teeth into a piece of cardboard (check out utube), one of those 99 cents 3 inch brushes or any brush. If you are painting over a cabinet that already is painted with an oil paint, the acrylic paint will peel off eventually. So this is all about Acrylics.

1. Sand and wipe with damp cloth. Take off all the hardware.
2. Base coat with at least 4 to 5 coats of paint. I add a little water to the paint to make it more fluid. You don't want thick ridges. Slap on the paint in quick criss cross fashion and then smooth out in one direction with a light touch, holding the brush as flat as possible. In other words not up and down on the edge of the brush, but sort of laying down the brush. Let each coat dry well, a hair dryer can be used. I usually sand between coat by just lightly passing a the very very find grit sandpaper over it. I put my brush in a plastic bag and wrap the paint tray (meat tray) in a bag as well so I don't have to wash the brush between coats.

3. Let the coats dry and cure for at least 24 hours. In this case we are talking about the red cabinet. I mixed glazing medium 2/3 and 1/3 black paint and a little extender, mix it well. then I brushed just plain extender medium over the area (one area at a time now) Extender gives you more time to do what you want to do. Immediately after applying the extender, brush the black glaze over that area and then take your tri tool and swirl it around into whatever pattern you want. You will have plenty of time to do this with the extenders on the area and in the glaze, only put a little extender in the glaze, just a few drops.

You may wish to practice on a small piece of wood or cardboard or watch utube for faux finishes and the wood graining tool.

I let it dry for two days or longer then I put about 5 coats of varnish on, sanding with the fine sand paper between coat and waiting just for the coat to be dry before applying the next.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 07-12-2016 at 07:40 AM.