View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM
QM
Power Poster

RE: klsswift's post. Mainly, I proudly consider myself to be an artisan, occasionally producing accrual art. I am embarrassed when people who have commissioned my work, one to the tune of several thousand dollars over several years, laud me as a fine artist. I come from a family of artisan/artists. Both my grandmothers were known painters who also designed homes and one several public buildings. One grandmother built her own house by herself while working full time as a teacher. My father was given a large quantity of filthy "garbage" wool. After cleaning it, he invented a type of spinning wheel, spun, made a loom and wove it, producing thread for thread copies of prerevolutionary work from both sides of the family. He considered himself a "technologist", doing everything from glass blowing to assisting Nobel Laureates on their lesser works, to making replicas of antique instruments to building cannery equipment. Perhaps I am sometimes also an artist, but I am proud to be an artisan and try to do a workman-like job on all of my quilts.