Thread: Awkward words
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 AM
SewingSew

My husband and I clash on the pronunciation of words all the time. He is from Massachusetts and I am from South Carolina. For example, he pronounces Amish using a long vowel sound on the a. I pronounce it using a short vowel sound on the a.

Somebody mentioned the misuse of words on this board, like boarder vs. border. I wonder how many people really do know the difference, but when they re-read their post, they find their mistake and cringe a little. I know that has happened to me before. I definitely know the difference between their, there, and they're, and two, too, and to, but there have been times when, in my haste to send an email or a message, I just overlook a mistake until it's too late. Ernest Hemingway said "The first draft of anything is s__t." How true that is. I'd like to think that some of the mistakes that I see are just a lack of editing, and I hope that everyone will look at my errors with the same attitude. And can I just say that the auto-correct feature on my Kindle is the devil reincarnated.