View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Hi, Geri - The quilt as assembled in long, diagonal rows. The two sides of the right triangles fit into the ends of each row. The bottom sat against the 4-patch next to it, and the side was against the last block in the next row. It wouldn't have fit the other way, as the bias side was one size and the two other sides were another. One by One's suggestion of the interfacing on a roll would stabilize them, but I'd also bet there's another way to cut them. Hope this makes sense. They were isosceles triangles.

hugs,
Charlotte
From what I read above you used hsts on the sides of those long diagonal rows. I was talking about quarter square triangles. I wish I knew how to draw on here, but visualize a large square with an X thru four corners...outside edge of that initial square is the edge of the quilt and the two bias cuts you created nestled into the sides of those diagonal rows, thus no bias on end. The only place there will be hsts is the four corners- cut from a different size square so that again the bias edge is sewn onto block and the two straight of grain edges are the ends(corner) of the top. Someone please tell me you understand what I'm saying...that's how I was instructed, and I'm sure that's the rule of thumb on setting triangles even today...exception might be "modern" quilters, who sort of just wing things!