Old 07-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Homemother

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I love your quilt! The back is amazing! I have this pattern and plan to make it-for the challenge. However I want to make it in different colors, maybe something brighter. What's your advice?
Thank you! Brighter would work fine. I chose the gray and black because they play nicely with the pebble fabric. I had gone to a sewing shop to ask for help picking other colors and the ladies I talked to couldn't think farther than black and gray, just like me.

As long as your have strong contrasting colors, with the darkest representing the maze walls, your maze will pop. The top of the walls should be a fabric that has no appeal. Strange, yes, but less is better. If you have a busy or striking fabric on the top of the walls, your eye will have to work hard to see beyond that.

After making many of these mazes, the best suggestions are: the top of the walls should be bland, the walls should be dark, and the pathway should be busy. The eye should be drawn to the path and then to the walls, which creates depth. Take a look at my maze pictures and you can decide which fabric values appeal to you!

Have fun with it!