View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Quilting Chris

Default Pieced Backing Advice

I'm working on a sashed QAYG throw which I had planned to be 5x6 rows/columns with 9.5" blocks. I purchased a layer cake in the same line to use as the back of each block. Each of the blocks was comprised of 4 square paper pieced identical sub-units. It was only after I'd completed about 20 of the sub-units that I realized I had printed the paper piecing pattern at 6.5" instead of 5.0" (unfinished size). As a result of that error, my completed blocks will be 12" rather than 9.0". So now, I've decided to make it 4x4 rows and add a bigger border. However, I need to figure out a way to convert 40 10" squares of fabric into 16 12.5" (unfinished) squares. I thought since I have 40 10" squares and 2 squares per fabric, I could cut 2 3x10" strips from each duplicate and and sew them on each side of the square with a corner square that matches my sashing, like the following picture. Does anyone have a simpler or more interesting idea that I can do. I generally prefer to spend less time on my backing squares than on the front when doing a QAYG project, so I'm looking for something quick. Thanks in advance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553827[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails packer-stars-backing-block.jpg