View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I was going to a retreat Thursday-Sunday at a working Dude ranch that let us come at the end of the season in the fall and before the season begins in the spring. The owners cooked all the meals for us but everyone brought snacks and specialty foods. We could go in the kitchen and dig around for food in the evenings and we had tea and coffee all day. It is in the mountains and we were alone in the big house by ourselves at night. One night some bears surrounded the house and snorted and banged against the place. One lady really freaked out. We only had lights on in the sewing room and one brave soul ran through the dining hall to the kitchen to use the only phone to call for help. It had knotty pine in the dining hall. It had so much character in the whole house. We could have our own bedroom or share or even stay aross the dirt road at another house where 2-4-6 people could share a room. I need to go back. My sister took me to the dude ranch but she died at 53 in 2003 and it was so sad going without her. So I quit. I think I will find another friend and try it again. I had the best time. We would go for walks but the black bears would appear out of no where and scare you badly. They have been good except that one night.