Thread: Irish linen
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Bree123

I agree with Tartan. Someday I eventually hope to get around to making a Crazy Quilt with my Great Aunt's Irish linens (she hand carried them from the Old Country). I think they are so beautiful as is, but I've also seen people who attach a light/featherweight stabilizer to help keep them from wrinkling. I know I don't have enough from her between the napkins & tablecloth to be able to make as large of a quilt as I'd like so I keep going back & forth between looking for more Irish linen on eBay versus buying some linens & maybe adding some hemstitching. I saw a quilt where the top was colored (blue or green -- I can't remember now) and they had layered some white linen behind it so it peeked through the row of hemstitching. Really quite lovely. In another place they'd done the same thing with antique white on top & bleached white behind peeking through. I love all the laces, too. My great grandmother made lots of lace doilies. Most of them were stolen, but there were a few that were preserved. I'm not sure I can part with them, but all those luxurious items like lace, satin, linen, silk, and such make for really lovely quilts.

I'm sure however you end up incorporating it will be truly beautiful.