Old 07-14-2016, 04:53 AM
littlebitoheaven

Default Stain Glass Comfort Quilt for Cancer Patient

I finished this quilt yesterday. It is 59" x 69". Made it for my dearest friend who is having chemo treatments for non Hodgkins Lymphoma. She is 84 and very tiny.

Normally, I make these comfort quilts with fleece backing, however, they are quite heavy. For her, I used a 20/80 batting and a flannel backing.

I am in love with this quilt (for many reasons). I did SITD around all black sashing and border. I'm haven't been a fan of SITD because, in the past, I have not been able to do a very good job of it. However, this time (because this quilt is not huge) I used my walking foot and did a much better job.

I quilted each section with matching or coordinating thread as I did not want to take away from the color of the blocks. I knotted and buried my threads as I went along. It seemed time consuming but in the end it was so much better than hunting down thread tails. I also use a self-threading needle. It saves so much time.

I do not overwhelm my quilts with quilting only because I want the fabric to make the statement so I keep my FMQ (on domestic machine) simple.

I did the label with my new (low-end) Brothers' embroidery machine. I love how the yellow thread on the purple appears as gold. My labels are simple because my hoop is small (4" x 6").

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553915[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553916[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails maes-quilt2.jpg   maes-label.jpg