Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Pat and pups

When I was in high school, I wanted to sew and managed to talk my mother into getting me a sewing machine (old, used, good enough for someone who wouldn't use it for long). I made all my school clothes on that old machine, much to my mother's surprise. She was so amazed she bought me a better machine when I got pregnant and wanted to make baby clothes and gifts. She couldn't even replace a button and couldn't understand the pleasure I got from creating.

When my daughter was pregnant, she got the idea of our making a baby quilt together. What a mess--her idea of a quarter inch seam was not the same as mine. We ripped as much as we sewed, but we managed to get it done. I said I'd never ever make another quilt.

Then I visited a woman I met on the internet. She was a quilter, and I loved seeing all her beautiful quilts. I decided I needed to quilt since I was bored with other crafts. I haven't stopped since.

Thanks to my late mother who bought me that old machine and who never understood the pleasure I got from making things with my hands, I'm now a quilter.