Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Bree123

Default Any wholecloth quilters who use cotton thread?

I'd really love to make a wholecloth quilt, but am struggling with the idea of using polyester thread (rayon is totally out of the question because I have a very, very severe contact allergy to it -- and the quilt is for me).

I keep hearing from online teachers that wholecloth quilts should never be done with cotton thread and, in fairness, my favorite quilts tend to be quilted with trilobal poly. I'm generally a purist -- cotton batting/fabric/thread or silk batting/fabric/thread. I sorta cheat with wool and use floss or pearle cotton thread, although I'm thinking of trying some 100% wool thread on my next project.

I really, really want a wool batting (possibly Hobb's Heirloom, but more likely a carded wool batt from a local mill). I'm sorta undecided about whether to do wool fabric (Primitive Gatherings, peacock) or cotton fabric (Cherrywood, indigo), but in any case, I'm really hoping to keep it to all natural fibers.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking maybe adding some stuffed work would help. I just keep hearing how "meh" my quilt will be unless I use synthetic threads. I know a lot of you make beautiful quilts with synthetic threads. I know for sure how that would look. Has anyone actually made/seen a wholecloth quilt other than vintage white that was done (FMQ) with cotton thread? Any pics or descriptions -- good or bad -- would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!