View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM
ansew

Default Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

So, I would like to get some of their quilt batting for donation quilts. Has anybody used Marshall's batting for charity quilting? If so, what "weight" did you get? These would be quilts that would be shipped overseas(Lutheran World Relief and Mennonite Central Committee).

I thought I read of someone on this board who purchased the lightest weight they carry and it was still fluffy enough for tied quilts, but of course, I can't find the thread now.

Marshall's has a 96" wide roll polyester that is 5 oz. per linear yd. Does anybody know how thick this is and whether it would be thick enough for these kinds of quilts that will most likely be tied or very simple quilting along seam lines(free form serpentine)? Would the 5 oz. also be thin enough to use on the longarm?

Thanks for those of you who can give me your advice based on your experiences. I emailed Sharon and she said to call her on Monday, but I thought I'd check here also and find out what everybody's experience has been with the polyester batting from Marshall's before I give her a call.

And yes, I realize there would be $30 shipping charge per roll. But even with the shipping charge, the price is very good if the batting would be good for charity quilts overseas.