View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Watson, my SIL also brought me a quilt made by her g-ma that was very tattered and worn--much like the one you are dealing with. Before I saw the quilt, she was saying probably just needed binding--but wow! So she and I took her quilt to a LQS where the owner collects and rehabs old quilts. Here's what she told us: 1) think about how you plan to use it--like someone else said, repairing the tattered and worn parts may fix them but the rest of the quilt will soon be in the same shape 2) if you repair all that needs repair, you basically will be replacing the quilt. What she suggested is that we carefully clean it with a product like Restore and wash in the bathtub(I always put in a plastic laundry basket to swish it up and down and then remove still in the basket--it keeps the weight off the seams) and then lay out flat to dry. Then fold so the greatest amount of damage is non-visible and make sure there's no further sun or smoke(cigerette) damage. We decided not to use the tulle overlay as she's not putting it on a hanger, etc. Good luck!