View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 AM
117becca

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
is the tan cotton or brocade? it seems to have a shimmer to it. the quilt is beautiful.
The tan is from South Seas Imports - which I don't think is being manufactured anymore according to a local quilt store owner. She said she used to carry it, and can't get anymore from her supplier. Too bad, because I would use fabrics from them alot!!! They add an elegance to quilts that typical cottons don't always have.

I have seen some layer cakes in a pattern/company Williamsburg something that has a similar texture.

It's not a brocade, it is a cotton, but the finish is not smooth like we see in quilting cottons. The finish is a bit "rougher" - truly reminds me of a cotton decorator fabric.

I originally bought the tan about 4 yrs ago for a quilt for a friend. I had about 1.5 yds left and went online to find another yd. It was difficult to find and where i saw it in other colors, it was marked down. Learned something....I bought the first yard from a place in CA - but it was different, couldn't figure out why.

Got it in the bright light at a quilt store and we were examining it - it was a copy!!! Almost like it was xeroxed and printed on regular cotton fabric. Close - but not the same and I could tell when I felt it. Plus the fabric info wasn't on the selvage (that was the give-away)

Found another piece (couldn't believe it) and ordered it and it was the real thing. The fake is close enough that i'll use it for the binding.