View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 06:13 AM
margecam52

First, I would use a fusible web (wonder under lite, etc) to bring as many tears together as you can...won't be perfect, but the idea is to get the quilt to lay as flat & nice as you can (pressing will help, doing it as you repair/fuse the tears). Then... Tule ...I get tule in an eggshell or ecru color...spray baste the top of the quilt (hold can at least 2 feet away from the quilt..Lay the tule (netting) onto the quilt...letting the spray baste hold it in place and quilt over the tule. I used a simple meander, about 2-4" apart. The spray baste will disappear...so be aware of that. This can be done on a quilt frame & without the spray baste, but you have to be very careful to not snag the tule. Once the tule is on the quilt...you will only see it if you look closely...if hung on a wall, or just laid out on an unused bed...this holds up fine. I have also used organza ...but it leaves a sheen and does show slightly.

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
My sister brought me this quilt after trying numerous places to have it fixed in her hometown. They all said they wouldn't touch it.

It was made by her grandmother-in-law many years ago and is an antique. It has some blocks that have frayed and she'd like me to repair them enough so that she doesn't lose the entire quilt.

She isn't a quilter herself, but she has seen my quilting was thinking that I could just do meandering over the frayed edges to tack them down, but I think I can do better than that.....I suggested that I use bias tape to sew the edges down that are loose, where there isn't enough material to just sew them by hand.

What ideas do you ladies have? Any input appreciated.

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554552[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554553[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554554[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554555[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554556[/ATTACH]