Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 AM
lovelyl

Acouple of thoughts. The beige FW is far less common than the black or white FW. However, I don't think it will command a much higher price because of its color. Vintage machines, including the FW, are very easy to maintain yourself without needing to send it to a repairman to clean and tune up each year. As others mentioned, it would make a good back up machine while yours goes in for maintenance.
I have 3 FWs and wouldn't sell them for anything. Such a great straight stitch, and so portable! I can sew in any room in my house instead of sequestering myself in my sewing room. When quilting, I use a straight stitch 95% of the time and only have to use my modern machine for blanket stitch and zig-zag, so my FW fills the bill for me. I don't get why people feel they need tons of fancy stitches on their machines, my guess is most of them go unused. I do miss the needle up/down feature when using my FW, but it isn't that much trouble to turn the hand wheel.
It is just a personal preference, there are advantage/disadvantages if you use vintage and also if you use modern machines! Good luck with your decision!