Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Sleepy Hollow

I started baking (and cooking) with my son when he was very young. We cook pretty much daily, but don't bake a whole lot. However, when he was 15 I had him bake his own birthday cake from scratch (key lime pie, he even had to juice the limes himself). Now he does a lot in the kitchen himself (18, just started at the community college).

Growing up I had four siblings, and we were always baking some kind of cookies, cakes, etc. Eventually, all but the youngest moved out and my dad asked my mom why she wasn't baking cookies anymore. She told him she never bakes, it was always the kids that did the baking! So, dad learned to bake in his 60s, and now cooks all the meals for my mom (she got a part time job 19 years ago for something fun and a little extra money). Anyway, it was when my dad mentioned this comment that I realized I never learned to bake with my mom, but with my older siblings.

One of my favorite recipes to bake when he was little was a candy cane cookie recipe from an old Betty Crocker cook book (we didn't add crushed candy canes, just left them plain). It had been a favorite of mine when I was little. The first bite taste really weird (they use almond extract), and kind of gives a "not sure I like these" feeling, but they are weirdly addictive and I have to stop myself from eating the whole plate.

I've been working on different bread recipes, and when I find "the one!" I will show him how to bake that as well.

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 07-27-2016 at 08:30 AM.