Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Thelma Spier's Red Pickle Recipe

1) Using largest overripe cukes (yellow ok), peel 4 lbs cukes (about 7 huge). Slice in half lengthwise and scrape out seed centers. Slice into 1/2" slices.

2) Soak 24 hours in 1 C. lime plus just enough water to cover.

3) Drain and rinse 3 times, then soak 3 hours in ice water.

4) Drain cukes well in colander. Mix 1.5 tsp. red food color (or more), 1 tsp. alum, 1.5 C. Heinz white vinegar, plus enough water for mixture to just cover the cukes, and simmer cukes in mixture for 1.5 hours on low heat.

5) Drain, discarding liquid. MAKE SYRUP: Mix 1 C. vinegar, 1 C. water, 5 C.s sugar, 4 sticks of cinnamon, few whole cloves, 2 small boxes of Red Hots candy (or one bag). Boil mixture to dissolve sugar and candy, stirring.

6) Add cukes to the pot and boil for a few minutes. Fill hot, sterile jars with hot pickles. Add one cinnamon stick and 4 cloves per jar. Cover with syrup, leaving 1/2" headroom.

7) Process in water bath canner for 5 minutes.

Makes 4 pints.

Although the recipe is for 4 pints, I usually make quart jars, and use as many cukes as I have. I often have to mix up and cook some extra syrup to have enough to fill the jars at the end, so be sure you have extra of everything for the syrup. These are the best sweet pickles, if you like sugar and cinnamon! Just like candy.