Old 07-29-2016, 12:15 AM
Bree123

Glad you were able to do this! I agree. The only thing that I'd still be cautious in regards to bleeding with would be batiks as sometimes there is excess dye. Printed fabrics should be fine.

With solids -- and even some batiks -- the issue isn't just bleeding but crocking. Crocking is more likely to occur when you wash/dry a larger quilt because there is more fabric rubbing against other fabric. It is one of many arguments against washing/drying on anything other than the lowest, coldest, slowest setting. I am fortunate that my clients' children (the parents) generally wash just about everything in cold water with specially formulated Cold Water detergent. So all I need to do is discuss the benefit of drying on low heat or air drying the baby quilts & have never had any problems. My mom is from the generation that grew up without modern detergents & had to wash bedding in warm/hot water to get it clean. Dryers used to label the hottest setting "cotton" so she washes quilts/quilted items in Hot Water & dries on High heat and then can't understand why everything else in the load ends up with the quilt colors on them (crocking -- I'm sure because I pre-wash everything due to allergies and wash again 2x when finished quilting) and the quilts end up shrunk down to 2/3 to 3/4 the original size, and wear out 4-5x faster than similar items at my siblings' homes. I've tried explaining it to her to no avail. I just can't afford to buy 50% more fabric 4x as often to accommodate her washing habits so she doesn't get even get my practice quilts anymore.