Thread: Scraps...
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM
mac

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
At least you were smart about it and have scraps left from other quilts. When I started to quilt I loved scrappy's so I went out and BOUGHT scraps. Which now, looking back, was stupid. I should have started with a quilt or two and made scrappies AFTER. Oh well.....I am trying to get into the challenge of finding fun patterns for the same materials so they all look different. That is the biggest or hardest part for me. After a while I just want to start on something new and not look at "oh....THAT fabric" again. Live and learn for me!
LOL, when I first started quilting I wanted to do a storm at sea quilt (all scrappy), I too went out and bought scraps to make it. Since I was still a beginner and storm at sea is more of an advanced quilt pattern, none of my blocks matched up, I had missed all of the points on the blocks and it was a mess. I ended up putting the sorry looking blocks that I did in the scrap box with all of the scraps and BOOM, there started an orgy that has yet to stop. No matter what I do there are always scraps.

At our guild quilt show one year I sold 12 big plastic garbage bags of scraps for 50 cents each. I can imagine what a population boom I started and I bet they are still multiplying.

P.S. Every once in a while I come across those storm at sea blocks and I have a good laugh. But it does make me realize how far I have come in my quilting abilities.