View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 11:14 AM
zozee

To build a stash a little at a time with a variety of fabric, I'd recommend this :

1. When you find a fabric you LOVE that is multicolored, buy a yard of it.

2. Then buy coordinating fabrics at 1/3 yard each. There's more versatility in 1/3 yd cut than 1/4 yd (eg. 1/3 yd --12 inches-- can be subcut into two 5" strips with 2" strip left, or two 6" , etc, wheres a long 1/4 yd cut is more limited in size and shape).

3. Consider using a variety of pattern -- checks, plaids, geometrics , florals, solids, stripes, etc. make for visual interest. Stripes can be hardest to use, so I buy them only in fat eighths or FQ unless I'm doing a binding in a fabulous stripe.

4. Contrast is the key to making your design stand out. You need lights, mediums and darks. Lights and neutrals are perhaps the least thrilling to buy, but necessary. If your quilt has all the same values, it could look really busy or really dull.

5. Remember that fabrics come and go rather quickly. If you see one you really love a lot-- you love the look, the feel, everything-- get 2 yards. Some people will buy more, but since you're just starting out, you would do best to experiment to find out what kinds of quilts you like to make. I find that I seldom use more than 1.5-2 Yards of any fabric, as I love to play with so many scraps. I like to quilt for kid charities, so bright, happy prints are my thing.

Last edited by zozee; 07-31-2016 at 11:17 AM.