Old 08-01-2016, 03:08 PM
slbram17

Originally Posted by frogged View Post
Hello; I would like to revive my first sewing machine it is a Kenmore front loading bobbin 8 stitch, which I bought new about 20 ish years ago. It was a good basic machine, that got a fair amount of abuse. It has been shelved for 10 years or so waiting for someone to fix it. It has been oiled, and all the dirt etc cleaned up. The wheel moves freely when you use the foot pedal and sounds good but when you hand crank there is resistance but no sticking, when the needle is at the highest and lowest part of the rotation. The bigger issue it the top thread gets caught by the hook and is pulled down the side of the bobbin but then does not come off the hook to move over to the right side of the bobbin and then back up to catch the bobbin thread and up and out the hole of the needle plate. I did have to adjust the timing as initially the thread was not getting caught by the hook, I have changed my needle and it only goes in one way so I know its correct. The tension feels good on both top and bottom. Is it possible that the hook is not being rotated enough is that even a possibility?? What could be the cause of the top thread not following all the way around the bobbin and back out? I am trying to do this myself, it wouldn't be worth the cost of taking it into a repair shop. Thanks for any input
These machines are great to have to handle some projects that you may not want to subject your more expensive machines to, so I do believe they are worth the cost of taking to a sew/vac repair shop. I have done that, in fact, I had a similar situation where the thread was not being brought up from the bobbin case. I had it fixed and it has been working fine ever since. Hope you are successful but do not give up on it if you are unable to resolve yourself. Just my thoughts.