Old 08-01-2016, 03:41 PM
carolaug

Thank-you! I am going to pick up that pattern.
Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs View Post
Good heavens, No, I did not wing it! I did use a pattern. I came across 2 different ones that are really easy because there are only 2 pieces! You cut one, double fabric, and sew them together to make the front, then the other piece is cut double to make the back. So, there is the front seam, the back seam, and the side seams. I put a personalized tag on the last opening in back used to stuff the filling in. Be sure to put the safety eyes & nose on before you sew the side seams together; you need the front flat and separate. I found the safety eyes & nose at Joann Fabrics in different sizes. They're like earrings but when the "posts" in back are squeezed on, it's stuck together forever!
---Simplicity 8044 (variety of animals, not only bears) I used this one, bought at Joann's
---Carol's Zoo (different patterns for various animals) online

Since I already have the Simplicity, I'll stick with that for now. I want to make a puppy, but with perk-up ears (I'll "wing" that). I've talked my cousin to join me at my daughter's beach house next year for our own little sewing retreat. I'm going to go prepared to make several of these toys for all my cousins' grandchildren+my sister's new one and my 1yr old. Fun!

hope this helps!