Thread: just for fun
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 02:13 AM
slbram17

Default just for fun

It is pretty warm and I don't want to use the oven, plus I had to use the self clean function and I don't want to dirty it up too soon.

I tried two experiments with crock pot cooking. 1. I used a crockpot liner (love them) for the first experiment. I took a can of apple pie filling and put in the crock pot as my first layer. I took a angel food cake mix and sprinkled over the filling, added a little liquid (not confident on how the angel cake was going to cook without a little liquid). I used a fresca soft drink, no more than a quarter of a cup probably. Dotted top with butter, and cooked on high. Probably at least four hours, but all crockpots are different. I used a thermometer to make sure it was done inside (read it should be at least 205 degrees farenheit). I never thought it would hold together but it did.

One of the recipes called for a caramel topping. So I took a 14 oz can condensed sweetened milk, transferred to a small canning jar, with the sealing lids. Put it in the crockpot on its side (I have an oval shaped crockpot so it is not very tall). Covered with water. Cooked on low overnight. It is cooling right now, but it is the perfect caramel color.

Just passing it on. I have a couple of steaks in the crockpot now, with the onion soup mix and gravy mix that should be done by noon or so.
Hope they turn out too.

Serita