Thread: just for fun
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Just Jan

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
No can you believe it? Just take your can of condensed SWEETENED milk, transfer to glass canning jar, put your sealing lid on. Into a water bath in the crockpot. Cooked on low overnight. That's it. It is DELICIOUS!

Just re read your message. I believe the normal method is putting in a pot of water, and simmering for at least two hours. I have not used that method. Look for condensed sweetened milk recipes. You'll find it but it is still pretty basic.
I looked for recipes on the internet and it says 3 hours on top of the stove. You have to keep watching the water level and turning the can every half hour. That seemed like a lot of work and wasted energy so I decided to try the crock pot method. Several methods I saw said to just remove the label and leave it in the can then do it like you said in the crock pot. I have three sizes of crock pots, and had spaghetti sauce cooking in the medium size one so decided to try the caramel in the small one. My canning jar was too big for it to have enough water coverage, so I left it in the can. It should be done in another hour and 20 minutes. They did warn to not use the pull tab type cans, and it said to transfer it to a jar to refrigerate any leftovers. I can hardly wait for it to get done...got some butter pecan ice cream waiting! LOL OK, a bit off topic but... speaking of butter pecan or vanilla ice cream... Cut a cantaloupe in half, remove pulp and seeds and fill with ice cream. Yum!!!!