View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
chris_quilts

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
I am getting a new DIL this year and would like to surprise the newlyweds with a quilt. Her favorite color is green and lots of it, but not a lime-color green. I was thinking of something with several shades of green with some purple worked in. Any suggestions for a pattern would be appreciated.
A triple rail looks good with this combination. One of my quilty friends made her daughter one for her wedding with greens and purples. It is a really beautiful quilt and she has made herself one as well with those same fabrics. Hope this helps. Chris

Thanks for your good suggestions. I sort of had a bargello in mind, but the split rail would also work great - don't know why I have to make this hard. Do you recall how many strips your friend used in her quilt? E-patterns has a pattern, Spring Garden Path, that I also had not thought of until you mentioned the split rail.

A floral quilt would be too "frilly." I would probably estimate the newlyweds taste as somewhere between contemporary and traditional.

Thanks again to everybody for great ideas. Love getting great feedback!
My friend used 5 colors but did have 6 strips since she used one color twice. I think she reused the purple so she had 4 greens and the one purple. The purple was the one that was continuous throughout the design. Her greens ranged from light to a medium dark with no florals at all and her purple was a tone on tone with a subtle floral pattern. Truly subtle floral b/c I had to look twice before I even saw the floral. It was beautiful. I think she put a border on it and the binding was just a dark solid purple (her daughter's choice) and I can't remember what the back looked like. I hope this helps you.