Thread: Fussy Cutting
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 04:01 PM
bkay

Default Fussy Cutting

I'm a new quilter. I really like "I spy" quilts and have participated in two small swaps (and hope to participate in others). I learned quickly that you don't want to fussy cut anything. However, before I figured that out, I acquired several pieces that will require it. Also, I buy fabric that doesn't look like it will need it and it does. So, either I throw that cow fabric (and others) in the trash, or fussy cut it.

So far, my efforts have wasted lots of fabric and yielded few usable pieces. Often, I miss-cut and it's the wrong size or not square. Other times, I mess up three images in the fabric to get one.

Is there a trick to it? I've looked on youtube.com and each has a little piece of fabric that they fussy cut an image from on a rotating cutting board. If you just whack it up into smaller pieces and fussy cut it, I got it. You can't put a big piece of fabric on a rotating board, though.

It seems like there should be a way to cut an accurate image out of the bigger piece without destroying the surrounding images. Am I dreaming?

bkay